Shiratama Rice Dumplings 白玉団子

Japanese follows English. 英語の後に日本語が続きます。

I wanted to eat something sweet, so I made these dumplings! You can put anything, like sweet red bean paste, roasted soybean flour, and/or sugar syrup. It's easy to make, i.e., just mix shiratama powder (i.e., rice flour) with water, knead well, and mold into small balls, then put the balls in boiling water and keep boiling until the dumplings float on the surface of the water.

It was supposed to be that easy..... but it wasn't. No matter how long I kneaded the dough, it didn't become soft or pliable. The flour and water didn't mix. I read several recipes to make sure that the amount of the flour and water was appropriate, but couldn't find anything wrong with what I did. Then, I found out why!! I used katakuriko, i.e., potato starch, instead of shiratamako!!! It was a real "oh my God" moment.

Shiratama rice dumplings 白玉団子

(If you wish to post your comment but don't have a Google account, select "anonymous" from the drop down menu titled "comment as"!)
甘いものが食べたくなったので白玉団子を作りました。何を載せようかと考えながらこねこねしていたのですが、いつまでたっても固まらない。で気付きました。白玉粉じゃなくて片栗粉だったー!!オーマイガー!でした。
(Google アカウントを持ってない方は、コメント記入後に「Google アカウント」をクリックし、「匿名」か「名前/URL」を選択してからご記入ください!)

Comments